Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Digital Art - 11/5/14: "Mosaic Trees"

Natures Footstep memes I participate in: 
Abstract Photo and Digital Art on alternate Wednesdays.

Click on the links above to view the posts by other artists/photographers or to participate yourself.

Note that I schedule my posts weeks ahead of time when I have time to create several at once. So if I use the suggested theme, it is purely by chance.
"Mosaic Trees"
Original photo:
"Signs of Autumn"
How I did it
I snapped a photo of a mosaic floor (in red, orange & yellow hexagonal tiles) in a restaurant. (At that time, I had no idea how I would use it.)

I made that image much smaller and kept repeating it to cover a photo-sized canvas. (I wanted small tiles, not the large ones as in the original photo.) I saturated the colors. 

I used my photo of fall trees that had almost all yellow leaves. I removed the sky and placed it on a separate layer above the mosaic and under the layer with tree branches and leaves. I duplicated the trees, overlapped, scaled, and flipped them to make them look like more trees. Then I created a composite layer with the sky and trees directly above the mosaic layer.  At this point, I had only 2 visible layers, mosaic, and trees/sky. I selected the yellow leaves & deleted them, allowing the mosaic to show through the blank spaces. 

By making the tree/sky layer somewhat transparent, the mosaic is slightly visible under the sky. Look closely to see the geometric design from the mosaic floor. I copied the branches and placed them on a layer on top of everything else (or they would have been transparent, too.) 

I also created a version using several shades of green instead of autumn colors. It can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cj_proartz/14973708276


*   *   *   *   *   *   *
See my photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cj_proartz
Below my name, click on albums to find a particular type of photo (Black and White, Fences, Abstracts, Landscapes, Still Life, Autumn Scenes, Bridges, Animals, Art Created from My Photos, etc.) Or view my entire photo stream which includes everything I've posted, with the most recent first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool mosaic and I love all the layers and effects you applied...
My NF DAM abstract has just a touch of circular mosaic in it too!

NatureFootstep said...

your tree is so cool. I´ve been thinking of doing something like that but has not yet done it. Glad you like my little bird. :)

And now , a little lesson. you can delete the flawed link yourself. Do you see the little square or x beside your link. click it and you will be able to remove the link. Give it a try. :)