Friday, October 2, 2009

RUST BELT - Friday Flash 55

This post is in response to
The idea is to write a story in exactly 55 words.
Click on the yellow link above to join the fun or read others’ stories.

His VW seemed to be held together with wires and duct tape. Large patches of rust covered the hood and driver’s door. Rust had eaten several holes all they way through the metal.

But Max was sixteen and it was his first car, so to him it was as good as a shiny new Porsche.

-------------------
My first car was a $300 used Corvair ---you know the one Ralph Nader decided was unsafe at any speed. I needed it to get to my student-teaching assignment each day. There was a hole in the back-seat floor, so passengers could watch the asphalt zip by. On Mother's Day 1967, on my way back to college, I was rear-ended at a stop sign which forced my car into the one ahead of it, totaling the car. Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

I purchased my next car in August of 1969 after I returned home from a two-year stint in the Peace Corps. It was a spanking new Volkswagon Beetle which my new husband totalled in 1971.

Luckily my run of bad luck with cars ended then.
(©2009, C.J. Peiffer)

8 comments:

Monkey Man said...

So true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nice 55. Mine is also up.

Dulçe ♥ said...

It reminds me of Matee from CARS, all covered in rust but yet full of life.
Great one!

Anonymous said...

The beauty of one's first car. Mine had to be rolled down a hill to start most days ~ but damnit, it was all mine :-)

I've done two 55's this week. You can find them here. Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend.

Ciao,

Chef Kar

anthonynorth said...

Ah, memories of the first car. I remember it well.
Enjoyed that.

G-Man said...

Your FIRST car will always bring back those memories.
Mine was a 63 Chevy Bel-Air...
Good Times..
And an Excellent 55 My Dear!
Thanks for bringing back those fond moments in life.
Have a Kick-Ass Week-End...G

Alice Audrey said...

Not that he would have turned the Porsche down if it had been offered, of course.

Mona said...

Of course. Nothing like first love!

forever lost said...

My first car was a $400 datsun pick up truck that we had to use a coat hanger to pull the passenger door shut with! ...Thanks to Cash 4 Clunkers my Daughters first bought car is a SMART CAR oh my how things change! LOL
Great 55! I love this silly game! dont you