Thursday, October 2, 2014

Good Fences - 10/2/14: Public Art Project

Good Fences Thursday asks us to post a photo of a fence or gate each week.


In the spring, when I was walking at a local park, I saw a notice about a public art project asking people to volunteer to knit or crochet sleeves for trees at the park. I immediately started to memorize the information (since I didn't have anything to write with or on) ---and then I asked myself, "What are you thinking?" I had started a scarf for my husband last Fall and it still wasn't finished.  How could I possibly complete a sleeve to cover an entire tree trunk? So I put it out of my mind.

One day during the summer,  I arrived at the park to walk and saw the results from more industrious people than I. The first three photos are of designs on fences. Scroll down to see some of the trees, too.

I'm not exactly sure what the concept of this is/was. I didn't think it was more attractive than the railings, fence and trees were without the knitted sleeves, but I guess it was a project meant to bring the community together and was probably not harmful to the trees.

Footbridge railings.
Another view of footbridge.
Tennis Court Fence
decorated by Girl Scouts.
A variety of tree designs.
I'm glad I didn't decide to knit flags.
I'd still be working on those until, say, 2034.
The one on the left was
made with strips of cloth.

15 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I DO love the colour!

Tanya Breese said...

these are all so neat!!

Anonymous said...

Great shots combing art and structures.

Anonymous said...

Oh this made me smile, chuckle and laugh out loud. What creativity!

TexWisGirl said...

a unique project. i've seen some of the 'yarn-bombing' on statues and trees and the like, but never a community effort like this. i don't care for the tree sleeves or railing wear, but i do like that tennis fence decoration! :)

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

What a great find! I nominate you for the best Good Fence award for this week.

21 Wits said...

How fun! This reminds me of a yarn shop in town that has gone outside and liven up all the things around her shop, like the garbage pail, trees, fence, she sees it and wraps it!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW! ALL these are brilliant and very colourful and creative

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have seen this done on another blog of a person in Australia ... it seems to be a current fad which, if you have the time and ambition is probably a fun thing to do ... and it does look nice temporarily. I am thinking that the weathering process would take its toll before long and they would have to all come down. But, hey, people need ways to share their skills and this is a clever one. Great fence for Good Fences :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Ida said...

Well they might not serve any beneficial purpose but they certainly were colorful and fun.

eileeninmd said...

What a colorful idea, the trees, fence and rails are pretty! Great find, have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty fences.

A Colorful World said...

OK...park art, of sorts, I suppose. I think the people should have been knitting and crocheting caps for cancer patients, footies and shawls for the elderly, and baby blankets for women who decide to choose life. Just sayin'

doodles n daydreams said...

A bit of fun and it would bring the community together.

Diana

Amy Burzese said...

These are awesome displays!